The bathtub is a staple in most households, seeing daily use for both soaking and standing for showers. Constant use exposes the tub’s surface to moisture, which can lead to damage, discoloration, and even mildew growth if the tub isn’t regularly cleaned. Bathtub refinishing and reglazing procedures can restore the tub’s original finish after extensive staining. These services include removing the old finish off the tub and replacing it with a new one in order to either return the tub to its original color or give it a new look.
To protect the investment in a refinished tub, it’s important to learn how to clean and maintain it properly. You can keep your reglazed bathtub looking like new by following these cleaning instructions.
Clean Your Bathtub Right Away After Refinishing It
One day is usually all it takes to refinish a bathtub and give it a like-new appearance. The curing process for the new finish can take up to 90 days after application. You can safeguard the finish by following these guidelines for cleaning and maintaining your bathtub while it cures:
- After having your bathtub reglazed, you should wait at least 24 hours before using it again. The new finish can be ruined if the surface gets wet while it’s curing, and dust particles can get trapped in the finish, creating sharp points. Staying out of the bathroom will reduce the amount of dust that settles on the freshly refinished tub.
- When renovating a bathtub, professionals will tape off the surrounding area to prevent damage. After they are done, the pros will ask the consumer to remove the tape. This tape should not be removed for at least 24 hours after the initial 24 hours have passed, and preferably no more than a week after the initial 24 hours have passed. When removing the tape, take care not to pull off the fresh coating along with it. If you need to remove tape from around the drain, be careful not to rip the seal off the drain shoe. The tape can be removed by a returning technician if necessary.
- The refinished tub needs to be cleaned with soap and water on a regular basis while it cures. This will condition the surface and sweep away any dust that may have accumulated on the finish while it was drying.
How to Care for a Refinished Tub
These guidelines will assist you in keeping your newly refinished bathtub in good condition once the 90-day cure time has passed:
- Care for a reglazed bathtub includes waxing the surface two weeks after the new finish has been placed. To protect the tub’s finish, wipe it off with a moist cloth and then apply a small layer of car wax. Use a dry cotton towel to remove the wax, being careful not to excessively buff. After the initial waxing, you should wax your restored bathtub every few months.
- Use a liquid soap or body wash that is gentle on the surface and rinses off easily to keep it clean and free of soap residue.
- In order to stop erosion and water damage, be sure you regularly maintain the faucet and inspect the caulking.
- Make sure there’s plenty of airflow in there.
- Towel-dry the tub after each use and don’t keep damp sponges or washcloths lying around.
- Cracks and chips in the bathtub’s surface should be repaired right once to prevent water from pooling under the fixture and encourage the growth of mold and mildew.
Upkeep of Reglazed Tubs Don’ts
- Your newly reglazed tub should not be cleaned with acidic or abrasive cleaners, and you should avoid getting any cosmetics, hair color, or perfume on it. Clean your space using a gentle liquid cleaner.
- Scrubbing with abrasive pads is not recommended since they might produce surface scratches.
- Avoid using rubber or suction-cup bath mats, since they may react with hot water and damage the coating.
- After the initial 24 hours, you can safely keep shampoo bottles, soap, spray cans, and wet washcloths on the surface.
- The newly refinished tub is not suitable for bathing your pet.
Services for refinishing bathtubs are great for giving them a like-new appearance, but you’ll need to clean and maintain them often to keep them looking great.
With LF Jersey City Tub Reglazing, you may save a lot of money. Online Tub Refinishing Price Quote 100% Free!